Winery Chef Tara Wachtel has shared some of her holiday cooking tips with us to help you create the most delicious Pot Roast and Thanksgiving Turkey possible!
- When choosing a roast, go for a 4 – 4 ½ pound of boneless chuck roast. This cut has a lot of natural marbling for a falling apart, flavorful roast. The excess fat will render out as it cooks, and can be skimmed off before enjoying.
- Dust the outside of your roast with flour before you brown it. The toasted flour will thicken the gravy as it cooks in the oven, for a richly flavored gravy.
- Delicious when paired with the Rodney Strong Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Consider using a dry brine on your turkey this year. Much easier than finding room in your fridge for a large turkey in a giant pot of salted water. Merely sprinkle and rub the outside and inside with a blend of salt, brown sugar, and aromatics; like sage, rosemary and lemon. The dry brine can be done three days before Thanksgiving, for a little respite before the big event.
- Perfect when paired with the Rodney Strong Russian River Pinot Noir.